Friday, November 8, 2013

Stop and think!

I had a very meaningful talk with my fellow colleagues today. I don't think it's a coincidence that I read this book "Be the Right You" by Vanessa Tan at the same time.

What is the life that we are living in now? How do you define "a successful life"? How do you define "an empowered life"?

"If you are not a wife to your husband, a mother to your child, a daughter to your parents, a boss to your employees, an employee to your boss, then who are you?"

We constantly living in a role. When we are in a role, whether you like it or not there's a certain expectation that has been put unto you. When you are a wife to your husband, your husband or parents or parents in law will expect a baby, to clean the house, to cook for the family. When you are a mother to your child, your child will always expect you to be around to play with, your husband or parents or parents in law will expect you to teach and bring up your kids well. When you are a daughter to your parents, your parents will expect you to help them with everything, live according to their expectation, find their ideal husband to get married, studied in the university that they think is most prestigous, believe in a religion that they think is the most real, etc. When you are an employee to your boss, your boss expects you to be hardworking, work according to their style and pace.

STOP and think. Is this really what you want in life?

No doubt, being a woman.. IT'S HARD! Even when I'm still single, I don't live a pleasant woman life yet! Who can understand the pressure that a woman is having? Is it the woman's hormone that have to take the blame?? If we constantly heard that parents don't really have any more years, we got to constantly just do what that makes them happy. When we strive and work so hard everyday to live in other people's expectation, am I really happy?

STOP and think again. Am I going to live long on this Earth as well? What if I got into an accident the next moment, and never wake up again?

It may sounds that whatever I think is all about me. When we constantly living in other people's expectation, who am I seriously? Is this the kind of life that I really want? Is this kind of life really successful and empowered? Even when I'm financially free, am I really successful and empowered?

I'm still thinking...